Amy and Amiability

Postcards from the edge of reason...

STOP THE TRAFFIK

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Only Smarties have the answer!


Small Blonde Boy (he of metal arm fame) was unimpressed with my maths lesson on Friday morning. We had given each child a small box of Smarties and asked them to write down what fraction was red, yellow etc. Then they had to see if they could simplify that fraction and find equivalent fractions etc. When that was done, I would go and pinch one of their smarties and then make them do the new fractions. Finally I asked them to make up some problems e.g if 3/8 of my smarties are yellow whilst 2/16 are green what fraction are other colours? As I was scooting round the classroom I happened upon Blondie at his table and had the following conversation...

Amiable Teacher: (cheerfully) So, how's it going?
Small Blonde boy: (silence, shuffling Smarties about)
Amiable Teacher: So, have you got a problem? (meaning had he written one) Small Blonde boy: (disgruntled) Yes. You keep taking my Smarties.

I've got to admit, he had a point!

5 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Robbie, Rudolf & Rusty said...

mmmmm pretty sweets - mean teacher!!

We want some smarties but are not allowed them - too many E numbers make us fly into walls!!

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger D Baynham said...

You are a very naughty teacher, didn't anyone tell you it is wrong to steal.

 
At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know that the new Smarties in the weird tubes do not contain artificial colours. HOWEVER: the orange ones are horrible and they were my favourites.

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Amy and Amiability said...

Yes, we had the ones in the little boxes and they were very dull colours. they looked like they had been coloured by being boiled in a pan with some vegetables! The orange ones tasted alright to me though. Funnily enough, they were the ones I most frequently removed from the children!

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Eva said...

Hi there Amy,
Im Eva, from Australia, and I found your blog when I clicked to see who else likes Kath and Kim (new series to be made, apparently!). I'm also a teacher, but on maternity leave, and this blog may be the vicarious classroom entertainment that I need!
(have I sent this to you twice??? If so, sorry. Wasn't good enought to be sent twice...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home