Amy and Amiability

Postcards from the edge of reason...

STOP THE TRAFFIK

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

As threatened, a poem what I wrote...

Well, strictly speaking I wrote it with my first class during what the National Literacy Strategy rather optimistically calls "Shared Writing". Those of you who have ever had anything to do with 8 year olds will appreciate that, as the poem needed to be in rhyming couplets with approximately the same number of syllables per line and to have some sort of logical story flowing through it I pretty much had to write it myself; believe me it's a classic! Hehe...

Clara Sprout

Who shouted out and died in gruesome circumstances


There was a girl called Clara Sprout
Who was forever shouting out.
Her teacher said, “Your hand must go
Up in the air so that I know
You want to speak. Oh don’t you see
You mustn’t shout out “me me me””

But night and day and day and night
She shouted “me”. It wasn’t right.
Her friends were cross. They got fed up.
“Clara Sprout will not shut up”
They whinged and moaned “We must be free
From girls who shout out “me me me” “

And then one day, it did befall
That teacher took them, one and all
Out to the zoo as a surprise.
The girls could not believe their eyes
When watching crocodiles be fed
The keeper grinned and then he said
“Who is brainy, who is sweet
Who knows what crocodiles do eat?”
From just behind a voice was heard
Cry “me me me” and on that word
The old crock pounced and with a gulp
Chewed Clara Sprout into a pulp.

The tragic tale of Clara Sprout
Must be a warning all about
The gruesome fate that may befall
a little child, short or tall.
If you don’t put your hand up high
To answer your kind teacher’s “why?”
But rather choose to shout out “me!”
You too could die in agony.






6 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Blogger ScubaSis said...

Love the poem!! 2 house points

 
At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it!

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger D Baynham said...

Gulp...I wont shout again I promise :-(

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger It's not easy being small said...

Amy - you are so talented!!! And also have so much patience in shared literacy work - I would have got through about two lines and given up and told them to have a go on their own!!!

Was it based on the poem 'Matilda' perchance? Love that poem, it is my favourite!!!!

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Amy and Amiability said...

thanks Ju but can I point out that that was written during my NQT year and that I have far less patience now!

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Teapot said...

Hi Amy, I love your blogs and you always have things to say, especially about school!
Looking forward to many more!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home