Amy and Amiability

Postcards from the edge of reason...

STOP THE TRAFFIK

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Favourite poems... as requested by Teapot


When I was in Junior school, this was my favourite poem; in fact I think my year six teacher must only have had one poetry book and that was of course "Please Mrs Buter" By Allan Ahlberg!







Please Mrs Butler

Please Mrs Butler
This boy Derek Drew
Keeps copying my work, Miss.
What shall I do?

Go and sit in the hall, dear.
Go and sit in the sink.
Take your books on the roof, my lamb.
Do whatever you think.

Please Mrs Butler
This boy Derek Drew
Keeps taking my rubber, Miss.
What shall I do?

Keep it in your hand, dear.
Hide it up your vest.
Swallow it if you like, love.
Do what you think best.
Please Mrs Butler
This boy Derek Drew
Keeps calling me rude names, Miss.
What shall I do?

Lock yourself in the cupboard, dear.
Run away to sea.
Do whatever you can, my flower.
But don't ask me!

Allan Ahlberg

I'm not really sure what we all loved about it but I think it was probably the mention of underwear in the fourth stanza! It was definitely a poem that defined my generation. What does that say about us!?!

Nowadays, of course, I have the privilege of being in a job which means I have to read poems regularly. A few years back I had a year 1 class (a noisy rabble of five and six year olds; some of whom will, next year, be my noisy rabble of ten and eleven year olds) and this was their favourite poem. They used to say it at the tops of their voices with such great facial expressions. Hmm I wonder if they still remember it...

Oh Soggy Greens

Oh, soggy greens I hate you,
I hate your sloppy slush,
And if my mum would let me,
I'd throw you in a bush.

Oh, apple pie I love you,
I love your crunchy crust,
And if my mum would let me,
I'd eat you till I bust.

John Cunliffe (who also created Postman Pat!)

Goodness I could go on and on. Viv, you have opened a floodgate! I may have to add some more at a later date but just one more before I go, which is one of my current class's favourites, Jabberwocky. As they are completely bonkers themselves, this poem makes complete sense to them. Click on the link below where you can not only read it in "English" but translated into many other languages - fascinating!



Doh! It was glorious sunshine when I sat down to do this and now it is raining torrentially. It seems that, yet again, I have missed the daily, five-minute lawn-mowing window of opportunity.


2 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Blogger Teapot said...

Absolutely priceless, Amy. I just loved the Please Mrs. Butler poem too, and have the Alan Ahlberg book upstairs!!
ore please, we seem to have completely bewildered Random One!!

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Amy and Amiability said...

Ooh I hope he doesn't tell me off for such a long post! At work on Monday I am going to look out a "cautionary tale" I wrote with my class. I seem to remember it being quite amusing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home